Semi-successful text-mode (sorry) install of FC4test1 on Athlon64

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Apr 4 22:37:09 UTC 2005

Hello, test-list,

One install attempt report.

Text install of Fedora Core 4 test 1 onto an Athlon64 (so x86_64)
with a Radeon 9000 and no whacky hardware. Only reason for the text
install was the lack of a mouse when I started. The install appeared
to go really smoothly, quickly and successfully, but, in retrospect,
I should have found a mouse earlier.

Two big issues for me:
  * firstboot did not run on completion of the install (solution is
  to install gnome-python2-gnomevfs, incidentally)
  * for some reason the text install did not ask me what language I
  wanted the machine to run in, although it did ask what language I
  wanted the installer to run in. On first login. it declared my
  locale to be POSIX.   Urrr.. :)

So, bugs:

Found someone had already bugzilla'd:

151349 up2date "select all" only selects the first package
151867 After installation firstboot errors with numerous python errors stating GtkDeprecationWarning

Added more to the already bugzilla'd:

146862 yelp - "Could not load section" alerts for obviously existing stuff
153214 kernel - media check failure all disks

New bugs:

153269  RH website - Site unreadable with narrow browser window: text continues off-screen somewhere
153272  yelp - Welsh translation missing in yelp, despite presence of .mo file
153285  anaconda - text install did not offer language selections for post-install
153289  anaconda - text install did not ask me to create non-root users
(moved to firstboot, about to be duped, I expect)
153292  xorg-x11 - DDC probe failed on ATI Radeon 9000
153293  xorg-x11 - "mess" on root window after using scrollbar in a terminal (but only at certain resolutions)
153317  gnome-panel - notification applet crashed when I changed the default theme in Gnome
153320  yelp - yelp complains "could not load section" when invoked via right-click on an applet and choosing "help"

There are a range of other issues, but I am currently waiting for
up2date to sort its dependencies out before filing them. (This is
of course a text-mode up2date in order to avoid #151349 :))

No idea what's going on with the language thing at all. It's making
my head hurt, as /etc/sysconfig/i18n had one locale, and root was
resolutely sitting in POSIX despite this.

Telsa