xen and fedora, FC4 T1

Colin Charles byte at aeon.com.my
Thu Apr 7 13:22:02 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 12:33 +0100, Shahzad Chohan wrote:

> xm create -c rawhide

Before running that, run something like:

xm balloon 0 128

That basically balloons down memory for the host OS (dom0) to 128MB of
ram. What happens with Xen nowadays is that it allocates full amounts of
system ram to the dom0, and this means it can't allocate anything at all
for the guest

128 is just an arbritary number. It can be higher or lower depending on
your system ram and how much you want to give the guest os

> Using config file "/etc/xen/rawhide".
> Error: Error creating domain: (12, 'Cannot allocate memory')

Said error message will disappear if you balloon down the memory then
run xm create -c rawhide

> Here's my config files:
>
> /etc/xen/rawhide:
> kernel ="/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1225_FC4xenU"
> memory = 9

You'll want more than 9MB of RAM for the guest. Really

> I'm running the following kernel:
> 2.6.11-1.1225_FC4xen0 SMP

While Xen is enabled there, there are console issues I think that will
somehow not allow you to get to a login console (or at least that was
the case for me)
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi