Any place to get FC4T2 a little early?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 20:37:41 UTC 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 3:19 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday at mindspring.com> wrote:
> currently, in the FC4T2 section at http://fedora.redhat.com, there's
> some useful info, but there's nothing that leaps off the screen at you
> that says, "Are you having trouble installing?  GO HERE!"

The fedora mainsite is not particularly dynamic and I'm not sure
things are ready yet to incorporate contributed community content
directly. Now that fedoraforum is an "official" forum... perhaps a
link to a url in fedoraforum would work best for this purpose.. so
that community people can compile a thread of discussion about
installation issues.... OR... you can have a page in the wiki at
fedoraforum.org maintained by community members to compile a list of
significant issues.    But someone or a group of people are going to
have to step up and volunteer their time to maintain this sort of
thing and be on the ball about it.
It will take effort to comb through bugzilla and the lists to
determine what is and is not a "serious" install issue.

I humbly suggest that the best way to get this sort of thing linked
into the official site is to start maintaining such a url in
fedoraforum  or in the fedoraproject wiki, make a commitment to
maintaining it for more than one 'release' and then asked to be
linked.  A dead link that isn't going to be maintained by anyone isn't
particularly useful long term.

>https://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?product=Fedora+Core&version=fc4test2&component=anaconda&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=
>
> or whatever's appropriate.

I really don't think a cookie-cutter bugzilla query is all that
useful, for general consumption. People who know how to interact with
bugzilla can query bugzilla for themselves. For people who don't know
how to interact with bugzilla...thats just going to be a long list of
text.  What you really want is some human-being to classify certain
issues as "important" or "common" and to compile known workarounds,
referencing bugzilla tickets as needed.

> when folks are trying to install, and things just aren't going their
> way, they want help fast, so giving them a single point of contact can
> minimize the frustration.

Personally, i think anyone who desires "help fast" for a test release
is probably approaching the endeavor with the wrong attitude and
expectations.  And again, i think these people are going to be looking
for a human editted summary not a list of bugzilla tickets.

-jef"I don't care who you are, and how much you hate George Lucas'
blood-sucking approach to marketting and trademark licensing, nor how
badly you thought episodes 1 and 2 blew. All of it.. the hype and the
disappointment and even the Jar-Jar tongue shaped candy..has been
vindicated by the creation of dark chocolate M&M's.  We should all get
down on our knees and thank Lucas and his money lusting trademark
licensing team for making dark chocolate M&M's a reality.  My life
will be forever changed."spaleta