FC4t2 no good without LILO

Dana Lacoste dana.lacoste at peregrine.com
Tue Apr 12 23:03:02 UTC 2005

...and grub allows for a more of a sparc or bsd-style boot loader,
where you can specify the kernel you want to boot without needing
to reload lilo and it's more modern and looks better and.....

the arguments for grub vs. lilo aren't that lilo is better, it's
that lilo is working for someone where grub specifically doesn't.

in my previously mentioned problem, disk druid trashed my
partition table but all the other tools didn't.

so I'll ask this question then :

if redhat (this is a core issue, they control core) is desiring that
lilo be phased out (not a bad idea in itself) and that disk druid
be the partition editor of choice (far prettier and easier to use
than sfdisk! :) and that other tools that used to work but suck
in comparison to modern tools be eliminated, then can we at least
make a "deprecated" list and say "these tools will be eliminated from
the final distribution [once the test releases are done] so if you
need them can you let us know so we can work out the bugs in the tools
we want to use instead"?

Dana Lacoste