FC4t2 no good without LILO

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Apr 12 23:23:25 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-04 at 16:04 -0700, Brian Gaynor wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 18:38 -0400, Graydon wrote:
> > and leaving aside that it's tremendously bad, *bad*, *BAD* practice to
> > boot from the RAID array in the first blessed place on any sort of
> > production system,
>
> Not sure I understand why this would be the case. It would seem that
> if /boot is not on the RAID array you would be vulnerable to a single
> point of failure (i.e. the drive containing /boot).

It's because he hasn't got half a clue.

The only servers we have that don't boot off a RAID array, don't
have RAID arrays.

I have been maintaining UNIX and Linux Servers since 1984, and
this is the first time I have heard you shouldn't boot from a raid
array. Most servers that support RAID don't come configured with
drives that aren't part of the array.

But since GRUB doesn't work well booting off RAID devices, it must
be the practise that is wrong and LILO should have never allowed
you to boot off such an unreliable setup either, it just didn't
know better.