FC4t2 no good without LILO

Jesse Keating jkeating at j2solutions.net
Tue Apr 12 23:37:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 16:03 -0700, Dana Lacoste wrote:
> if redhat (this is a core issue, they control core) is desiring that
> lilo be phased out (not a bad idea in itself)

Has been for a while.

> and that disk druid
> be the partition editor of choice (far prettier and easier to use
> than sfdisk! :)

Disk Druid is a front end part of anaconda.  A long time ago (RHL 7.2?)
it used fdisk in the backend to do the partition work.  Since 7.3 or
even earlier, disk druid has used parted to do all the partitioning
work.  This hasn't changed for many releases.

>  and that other tools that used to work but suck
> in comparison to modern tools be eliminated, then can we at least
> make a "deprecated" list and say "these tools will be eliminated from
> the final distribution [once the test releases are done] so if you
> need them can you let us know so we can work out the bugs in the tools
> we want to use instead"?

As I said, Lilo has been deprecated since RHL8 or even earlier.

Was I helpful?  Let others know: