FC4T2 install report: trouble with sound, mouse, grub, dual head

Edwin Olson eolson at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 13 01:35:35 UTC 2005

Hi,

Installed FC4T2 today from CD1, 'linux askmethod', and http. Install was
uneventful on my P4/Tehama/RDRAM Dell 8250.

It appears that grub did not getting written, or written correctly on
/dev/hda MBR. My linux install is on /dev/hdb. It's possible I stupidly
skipped over that step somehow, I suppose, but I mostly doubt it. I was
able to correct it by running grub again. If relevant: I used the
default partitioning as a starting point, then shrunk the main LVM in
order to add an extra partition.

My 7 button mouse was not properly installed/configured. I had to change
the protocol to ExplorerPS, disable Enable3Buttons, change ZAxisMapping
to "6,7", and add "pointer = 1 2 3 6 7 4 5" to /etc/X11/Xmodmap. I'm not
sure what the "back" button was mapped to before fixing these things,
but it caused bizarrely erratic navigation behavior in firefox (jumping
to pubmed, though I've never visited there.).

Sound was not configured properly during install. The installer acted
like it found the driver, but there was no (audible) output when I
pressed 'Test'. I have a:

02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
02:09.0 Class 0401: 1102:0002 (rev 0a)

Running alsaconf after install worked fine, though the volume was
initially all the way down.

I was not able to get dual head to work with the 'nv' driver on my pair
of nvidia cards (one in AGP, one in PCI). Changing to the 'nvidia'
driver, as I needed to do in FC3, fixed the problem.

General comments:
    The default desktop icons don't appeal to me. They're a bit too
blocky/angular. I switched back to BlueCurve immediately.
    The audio mixer control panel is much improved, thanks!
    Kasteroids keyup events (bugzilla #152131) is still broken.
    yum performance is much improved, though 'yum search' returns far
too many false positives for typical queries (e.g., the string matches,
but it's not what I'm looking for.) Perhaps a 'yum searchpackagename'?
    It'd be nice if the multimedia keys on my keyboard (Microsoft
natural multimedia) were correctly mapped to the appropriate keyboard
shortcuts.

Stability is good so far. It's looking good!

-Ed