FC4t2 no good without LILO

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Wed Apr 13 17:11:06 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-04 at 19:46 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 17:28 -0600, Guy Fraser wrote:
> > Can we please get it back?
>
> <snip>
>
> > Can we please keep it?
>
> No, of course not.
>
> If something is wrong with app X the solution is to fix app X, not ship
> an alternative to app X just because some users thinks it work better
> for them. As a comparison, it's not like we ship the FreeBSD kernel just
> because some users think that it has features that the Linux 2.6 kernel
> doesn't.
Then get the problems fixed... DUH!!!

The problems is the developers keep blaming the problems
on misconfiguration, when the thing should work.

Although I have read the documentation for GRUB, I still have
no idea why it wouldn't work no matter what files I modified
and updated grub. Only fresh installs after replacing or
changing a drive would work. The error number would indicate
that a file could not be found, but the errors do not mention
which file could not be found or on which device it was looking
for the file. I would boot the Rescue CD and enter the grub
console and could verify all the drives were matched in the
map and could find the files that the docs said needed to be
found and was able to verify that every thing in the
configuration file matched.

Read the archives, many people have been having exactly the
same problems, and were having those problems well before
LILO was completely removed. I had tried GRUB many times
from when it became the default, until FC1 but it always
ended up causing me grief, and I posted notes and checked
Bugzilla. There have always been close to identical
problems listed in Bugzilla, so I probably did not create
any duplicate reports. Since nobody could help fix the
problem I would just switch to LILO and cary on using the
systems. On the next upgrade or re-installation I would
try GRUB again, and so on and so on. The problems have
never been resolved, yet someone still decided that it
was to be the sole package supported for a boot loader.