FC4t2 no good without LILO

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Wed Apr 13 17:21:07 UTC 2005

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Guy Fraser wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-12-04 at 19:46 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > No, of course not.
> >
> > If something is wrong with app X the solution is to fix app X, not ship
> > an alternative to app X just because some users thinks it work better
> > for them. As a comparison, it's not like we ship the FreeBSD kernel just
> > because some users think that it has features that the Linux 2.6 kernel
> > doesn't.
> Then get the problems fixed... DUH!!!

Well, it also requires interaction with _users_ (such as yourself) for engineers
to determine what the exact problems are and how to fix them.  Obviously Red Hat
doesn't have the budget nor the time to acquire every computer ever made to test
on, which is where users can help out quite a bit.  Users need to
_constructively_ respond to engineers with problem reports that include specific
information and steps to reproduce the problems.

Again, _constructive_ problem reports and interaction.  Bugs don't get fixed if
engineers can't figure out the problem or don't have the same hardware, or if
users can't constructively describe their problems.  If you help out by adding
your configuration and steps to reproduce to existing bugzillas, that can make
the difference between the engineer finding similarities that enable him/her to
fix the issue, and not being able to fix the issue because he/she doesn't have
enough information.

Dan