The new GRUB: A useful test!

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Thu Apr 14 01:44:01 UTC 2005

  Okay, here's some useful (and promising) info on the latest grub.  My
test machine only has one disk, so it's kind of hard (though maybe not
impossible) to test to see if the newly fixed software RAID 1 problem
has truly been fixed.  But I do have a relatively unused, fully updated
FC3 machine that I'm using software RAID 1 on with two SCSI disks.  It
was an install (not upgrade) of FC3 where I set up /dev/md0 (/dev/sda1
and /dev/sdb1) as /boot and with the root and swap partitions being
logical volumes sliced from a volume group that has /dev/md1 as it's
only PV (which consist of /dev/sda2 and /dev/sdb2).
  I did an 'rpm -Fvh grub-0.95-12.i386.rpm' and then ran 'grub-install
--recheck /dev/md0', rebooted, and prepared to eat crow.  Thankfully, I
won't need to stuff myself with that obscure poultry dish.  (At least,
not yet. :-/)
  Writing it to /dev/md0 (/boot) is a bit odd, though, as normally when
installing to the boot sector, you like to install to a non-partition
device file, but the question is, how else can you do it when you've
added partitions to all your md devices and have no md devices with full
disk devices in it?  So installing to the device which contains /boot
probably is the most sane thing to do.  Question is, am I deceiving
myself?  Am I still actually using the old grub installed on the boot
sector of /dev/sda?
--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator