Cannot Install FC4 Test2?

James E. LaBarre jamesl at bestweb.net
Sat Apr 16 17:36:18 UTC 2005

Shawn Hayden wrote:
> I downloaded the ISO for i386, and verfied the checksum.
>
> I boot to the Cdrom, and at the first prompt to install fedora or
> change boot parameters, nothing happens when I press enter.
>
> A "." shows up.
>
> If I try and type any other boot parameters, the letters travel down
> the left side of the screen. Very strange behavior.
>
> I am using a Dell C600 laptop.

I am curious if you aree using the CD or DVD images.  I have downloaded
the DVD image dwice (once from a mirror, the second time through
BitTorrent).  The first image I burned twice, and neither was able to
install, failing early into the install (the first disk would not even
get as far as the disk test feature).

Both downloads *passed* their sha1sum checks.  I burned the first one
through Nautilus ("Write to CD"), the second through K3b, which *failed*
the disk in verification mode.

To eliminate any problems with my CD burner. I tested the second
download by booting the DVD image within a VMware session, and had it do
  a disk verification there; that verification *failed*

My only conclusion is that the DVD image, as being distributed, is
itself defective.  I have tested multiple image sources, multiple HW
configurations (ThinkPad T41 & VMware 5.0), and effectively 3 different
"write" methods (counting the mounting of the disk image in VMW as a write).

I will have to grab the CD images to see what happens that way.