text login as default?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Apr 17 10:29:18 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 11:30 +0200, Sylvain Rouillard wrote:

> Fair enough, no bug here and I found the culprit. Though this raises some
> questions... what's the point of this change? are we supposed to login in in
> text mode to test something? aren't we supposed to bring these rpmnew files
> that yum creates into action? Too many questions for a Sunday waking up!

All it means is that the default setting of the config file in the rpm
is run level 3 - the rpm has no way in hell of knowing what you want, so
it has a safe default of run level 3 in its configuration.

When you install the OS and decide to have a gui login, anaconda changes
the default runlevel to 5.

The inittab in the rpm is flagged %config(noreplace) - which tells rpm
not to overwrite your current config file with the default, so it
creates a .rpmnew file instead - allowing you to examine the stock
config file should you choose.