laptops and cron maintenance

Aaron Kurtz a.kurtz at hardsun.net
Wed Apr 20 08:57:48 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 03:09 -0400, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> There are many possible solutions in theory.
> - Turn updatedb into a daemon which updates the database by using
>    fam/gamin to get directory notification events.  Not sure how
>    feasible or crackrock this might be, but it popped into my mind,
>    and if it is feasible, and any problems it might have could be
>    worked out, might make locate even more useful.
>
> - Explore possible alternatives to updatedb which are friendlier
>    to the system (if there are any).

I have no experience with it, but I have noticed with interest the
existence of the rlocate program, which consists of a kernel module that
monitors file manipulation and a daemon which updates the locate
database with that information every 2 seconds. Unfortunately, this
conflicts with SELinux, as apparently both programs have problems with
stacking on top of other security modules, so there's no real chance of
it being added in the near future. The webpage is
http://rlocate.sourceforge.net/

The rlocate page also mentions doodle at http://gnunet.org/doodle/ for
searching through documents and which has a fam-updated daemon, so at
least someone's done it.

--
Aaron Kurtz <a.kurtz at hardsun.net             GPG Key ID: ED588CF2