notebook fan runs on idle system

Ziga Mahkovec ziga.mahkovec at klika.si
Fri Apr 22 23:03:02 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 14:52 -0500, Martin wrote:
> Since upgrading from FC3 to FC4.2 plus rawhide updates, my Centrino
> notebook fan is very audible compared to it being silent in FC3  when
> the system is mostly idle.
>
> [...]

Maybe your CPU runs at the maximum frequency even when idle.  Check
with:

$ grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1500MHz
cpu MHz         : 598.086

Do you have any of the frequency governors installed?  cpuspeed should
work fine.  Make sure the "centrino" driver is specified
in /etc/cpuspeed.conf and that the cpuspeed service is running.  There's
also a nifty GNOME applet, if you feel like setting the frequency
manually.

--
Ziga