FW: Floppy devices not created during FC4 rescue boot

Ian Puleston ian at underpressuredivers.com
Wed Apr 27 16:52:31 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've been trying Fedora (FC4 test 1) for the first time, and I've just run
into a problem. All was working fine until I tried to install a 3rd-party
multi-boot program (I know, bad idea - should've gone straight to Grub) and
now, after removing that multi-booter, Linux won't boot - it appears that
the hard drive with Linux on is no longer bootable. But the main problem is
that I can't now create a boot disk to fix it. When I boot linux rescue from
the FC4 test 1 install CD it fails to create the floppy disk devices during
the boot with the following messages:

Unable to create /dev/fd0 - operation not permitted
Unable to create /dev/fd1 - operation not permitted

Hence I can't run mkbootdisk to create a boot floppy. The /dev/fd0 device
was fine in the FC4 system before this happened, and the floppy still works
fine under Windows on the same PC so the hardware is OK. Any ideas why this
may be?, or any other way to make the hard drive bootable again other than a
full re-install?

I also tried downloading the FC4 test 2 rescue CD iso and the same happens
when I boot with that.

Is this a but that should be reported in Bugzilla?

Thanks,

Ian