dmix issue with Audigy 2 (was Did ESD sound get very bad with the last update for anyone else?)

Caerie Houchins cdhouch at pobox.com
Fri Apr 29 15:54:06 UTC 2005

>> Since the last update I've found that my sound coming through ESD is
>> very crackly and bad.  ALSA seems just fine and when I play anything
>> through aplay it sounds perfect.
>>
>> It is possible that I've just not noticed the sound being this bad
>> before, but I'm fairly certain I would have.  GAIM's receive wav has
>> always been annoying, but now it sounds like its being dragged
>> accross a cheese grator :)  Same with anything using sound via
>> Firefox and the flash plugin.  I did read the previous thread on ESD
>> sound being bad on the list here, but at the time that came out I
>> wasn't having any problems.
>>
>> /proc/asound/cards
>> 0 [SB0400         ]: Audigy2 - Audigy 2 Value [SB0400]
>>                     Audigy 2 Value [SB0400] (rev.0,
>> serial:0x10011102) at 0xe800, irq 5
>>
>> /proc/asound/modules
>> 0 snd_emu10k
>

> I take that back, it may not be ESD after all.  I've been
> experimenting with dmix and if I do a :
> aplay -D plug:dmix receive.wav
> Its very crackily and bad.  However:
> aplay receive.wav
> plays fine.

I confirmed that dmix is the culprit here.  Its set as default in
.asoundrc in my user home directory.  The above test I did was as root,
so the normal aplay without specifying dmix was what played fine.
However running that same command as a user gives me similar crackily
output.

The reason this appears to have happened since the last update is dmix
was set as the default.

alsa-lib-1.0.9rc2-1
* Fri Apr 22 2005 Martin Stransky <stransky at redhat.com> 1.0.9rc2-1
- updated to 1.0.9rc2
- add ainit tool
- dmix is now default pcm device

I'm going to check for existing bugs on this.  Sorry to spam the list with this stuff.  Can I ask what the default Fedora was using before this was however?  I tried removing my .asoundrc and of course it just got rewritten :)

Thanks!
Caerie