smartd with ahci

Andy Burns fedora-test at adslpipe.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 17:49:56 UTC 2005

My motherboard is configured so the SATA drives show up as ahci devices
rather than legacy ide devices, fedora itself recognises the disks OK,
however smartd fails to start.

I did some investigation with smartctl and found that it was necessary
to use

	smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sda

with the "-d ata" being required to make it use libata, so I modified
the entries in /etc/smartd.conf to also have the "-d ata"

/dev/sda -d ata -H -m root at localhost
/dev/sdb -d ata -H -m root at localhost

now smartd is happy.

I'm not sure if anaconda (or something else) should have have recognised
the ahci devices at install time and made appropriate entries in
/etc/smartd.conf, in which case I should file a bug, or if this is
something the user should expect to have to configure, in which case
hopefully this message might help someone else out ...