nVIDIA binary driver and FC5 test 1

Justin Conover justin.conover at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 05:38:38 UTC 2005

On 12/1/05, Gilboa Davara <gilboada at netvision.net.il> wrote:

> > > how is this way out of line? It's in no way rude or abusive and it
> > > points to where he can get more information, there's an entire topic
> on
> > > the nvidia forum about this stuff. Questions about binary drivers are
> > > not really fedora related (fedora is an open source project after all)
> > > and are thus mostly off-topic here, especially since there is a good
> > > forum for questions like these.
> >

> Let me see if I get your message:
> If I'm having problem with connecting my FC4 to a Windows SMB server, I
> shouldn't come here because Windows is a closed source software.
> If I'm having problem syncing with my Palm, I shouldn't come here
> because Palm is a closed source project.
> Somehow I doubt that anything remotely close to your POV ever appeared
> in the FC mailing list guide-lines. (And I just checked)
>
> And even if in your eyes, he's question was off-topic, I doubt that it
> was in your place to give such a rude answer.
>
> Now, if we can all move along.... (His question was answered and his
> problem solved.)
> Gilboa
>

> --

You people need to get a grip, Arjan was not rude at all, pretty simple
answer, they don't support closed source drivers, the best place to go is
nvidia forums.  If you go to nvidia.com, you'll find that you can send
emails too

*linux-bugs at nvidia.com

*Which I did back on Nov 11.  Here was there reply

Hi Justin,
If your inquiry is regarding running the nvidia driver with a modular
Xorg, then this is a known issue with 1.0-7676, and will be resolved
with the next driver (1.0-8xxx) release.

Thanks,
Lonni J Friedman
NVIDIA Corporation

My reply

Thank you for the fast reply, do you have an eta when they will be
released.  Do you have a beta program people can join?  I run a lot of beta
software and report bugs.

Thanks,

his reply

Hi Justin,
While we do not currently have a beta program, we are planning to start
releasing beta drivers at some time in the future, after the next driver
release.

We are hoping to release the next driver later this month.

Thanks,
Lonni

So basically the dead horse I'm kicking here, is no, this isn't the place,
sure you can ask and maybe someone will know and maybe you'll get told to go
to the source(closed), but that is it.

Everyone knows going into rawhide it can be a bumpy ride, deal with it.