On the broken dependency list

Michael Favia michael.favia at insitesinc.com
Sun Dec 18 16:45:54 UTC 2005

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Jesse Keating (jkeating at j2solutions.net) said:
>> As for signing packages, I do believe they are signed.
>
> Generally, in rawhide, packages are signed as follows:
>
> Key 4F2A6FD2:
>  If they are directly inherited from:
>  - the previous major release
>  - updates for the previous major release
>
> Key 30C9ECF8:
>  If they are directly inherited from:
>  - a test release
>  - test updates for the previous major release (shouldn't happen)
>
> Packages that don't fall into these categories will not be signed.

Why not sign all packages distributed by redhat/fedora? Signing packages
only serves to guarantee the origin of the package not its fitness for
use. I think i had to disable key checking awhile back in yum because i
couldnt install the new packages in rawhide (well i assume they were new
packages based on your feedback above). If you would like to add another
key for these packages i think that would be fine but i personally think
that a "gold fedora key" and a "silver fedora key" are enough to
demonstrate the release status of a package. -mf