Setting up a DNS server

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Wed Feb 2 12:50:13 UTC 2005

Am Montag, den 31.01.2005, 18:18 -0500 schrieb Jason Vas Dias:
> On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 17:55, Paul wrote:
> > Anyone know of any easy to follow instructions of setting up a DNS
> > server under FC? I'm doing it all from the terminal, so no fancy GUI
> > interface stuff allowed ;-)
> > [...]
>
> If you can get access to a graphics terminal, using the
> 'system-config-bind' utility provides a GUI, with a facility
> to import /etc/hosts files.

I suppose, system-config-bind is currently not a good starting point.
The included help file is out of sync with the current program version.
So, for a starter is hard to figure out what has to be done.

I couldn't manage to let the program write a configuration file at all.
It always crashes with a python traceback when I instruct it to save the
configuration (I've to figure out weather I entered something wrong into
one of the entry fields or the program crashes by itself - so no
bugzilla entry yet).

> Also for any beginner to DNS needing to get into serious
> DNS configuration, the book 'DNS and BIND', Abitz & Liu, 2nd. Ed,
> by O'Reilly is a must.

The book should be a better starting point. Pick up one of the examples
and modify it acdcording to the specific need. If desired I can send you
a template for the requirred files.

Peter