"Best" way to do a fresh install of rawhide?

Thomas Cameron thomas.cameron at camerontech.com
Wed Feb 2 15:10:55 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta at gmail.com>
To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases"
<fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2005 9:00 AM
Subject: Re: "Best" way to do a fresh install of rawhide?

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 08:30:19 -0600, Thomas Cameron
> <thomas.cameron at camerontech.com> wrote:
>> Howdy all -
>>
>> Is the "best" way to get rawhide to try to install directly off the tree
>> at
>> ftp://[my_favorite_mirror]/fedora/core/development/i386/,
>
> boot.iso is provided in images/  directory in the tree.
> burn the boot.iso do a network install.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about - boot off of it but then point it to
the mirror to install over ftp.

> Depending on the internal consistency of the rawhide tree doing a
> direct install may not work.   Expect problems, don't be shocked if
> the installer sees an unresolvable dependancy.

OK, so is this what the dev team *wants* - i.e. does it make sense to even
try it this way to find bugs?  Or is it more desireable to start with a
stable install (FC3) and then yum up to rawhide?  Do you see what I mean?
If I'm going to file bugs against weird behavior, I want to make sure they
are realistic bugs.

Thomas