GFS modules not loading

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 19:09:50 UTC 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:32:36 -0600, Justin Conover
<justin.conover at gmail.com> wrote:
> That makes sense now :D, the question would be were can I find the old
> kernel

You'll have to be lucky enough to find someone who is caching old
rawhide packages. Rawhide is a rolling release... someone has to be
caching the old kernels for you to be able to find one.

> why isn't the package updated to include every kernel.

You'd have to ask the maintainer of the gfs packagers about that.
Frankly i think updating the gfs package to include multiple kernel
versions worth of modules in the same package is the wrong way to
go... you keep making the package bigger and bigger for each update
kernel and forcing everyone to carry around the modules even if they
dont have every kernel update installed.  Doing that however would
mean the buildsystem would need to rebuild the module for each
released fedora kernel.. something i think would end up being too
combersome.   External repositories have mechanisms to try to address
this problem without putting multiple versions in the same package.

The are deeper questions that have to be answered about how the gfs
modules are being packaged.  Right now looking at the packaging i dont
see anything in the packaging requires/provides that an instrumented
build/release system could use to let the gfs maintainer be notified
that the package was out of sync with the kernel.  This means that the
kernel packager and the gfs package need to be in personal contact
everytime the kernel package needs updating.  I think relying on
personal communication between packagers is going to end up being less
reliable than a scriptable test in the build/release system.

Certaintly rawhide is its only special breed of breakage and watching
something go out of sync in rawhide isn't uncommon.  But I fear that
the way gfs is being packaged right now in rawhide is going to lead
directly to continual problems with kernel updates in fc4 for users
using the gfs modules unless something is done to either tie in kernel
version into the gfs package requirements or to make the build/release
scripts aware that Provides: kernel-modules  is a special case that
must be watched for outside of the strict  package dependancy
self-consistency checks. Because right now the gfs package deps are
completely self-consistent in the rawhide tree, even though its an
unusable situation.

-jef"the gfs-kernel module has forgotten to include the Provides:
barrel-of- psychopathic-monkeys tag"spaleta