Pecular reactions with Rawhide installation

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Feb 25 03:58:57 UTC 2005

Stan Bubrouski wrote:
> Jim Cornette wrote:
>

>> Using top to view memory usage, the programs gnome-vfs-daemon,
>> gnome-settings, nautilus and X seem to be the leading processes for
>> consuming cpu time. I added the cpufrequency control applet to my
>> panel and am able to control the cpu frequuency to prevent the 80 C
>> temp then shutdown. These listed processes take 28 -32 percent each in
>> usage percentage. X takes around 1 to 6.6 percent usage range.
>

> Woh.  Clearly there is something going wrong here.  From your
> description it seems between X, gnome-vfs-daemon, gnome-settings, and
> nautilus you are using 100% CPU?  This would make everything else crawl.
>  So now the question is:  Why are these processes running out of control?

I glanced through the logs and there were no entries for when the
trouble was most noticable. I mainly asked to see if this behavior is
common or maybe my install is corrupted enough to cause the runaway
processes.

>> Even though the computer hovers at high speeds, it takes a long while
>> for a responsive desktop. lowering the speed does not help or hinder
>> the system responsiveness. ESD is not listed in top.
>>

> If you are at 100 CPU usage constantly then there is no mystery here
> except why.

The processes are not running as wild as they were yesterday. I applied
the latest rpms from rawhide and things settled down some. The
cpufrequency did upshift and downshift a few times when the cpu usage
climbed to higher levels. It did not peg at 1.52 GHz and stick, causing
high temps and eventually a shutdown.
The processes mentioned earlier do seem to hover around 20 percent for
the nautilus gnome-vfs-daemon (better behaved than yesterday) and
gam_server is not even listed in top today. It seems that gam_server was
the main culpret. At least the average load is down to mid 80s to low
90s and the processor speed is back down to 662 MHz (43 %) like was
normal for the computer since severn.

Thanks! At least I am now more familiar with program cpu usage and what
effects it has on other processes. I was surprised that the memory usage
was low, but the cpu usage was high for the programs that caused the
system slowdown/ processor max speed and system shutdown.

Jim