NetworkManager ( & bind)

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Thu Jan 13 15:18:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 23:25 -0600, Satish Balay wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Jan 2005, Sandy Pond wrote:
>
> > I see on last rawhide update that NetworkManager now requires bind and
> > caching-nameserver.  But the named service (bind) was not turned on:
> >
> > $ /sbin/chkconfig --list named
> > named           0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
> >
> > Is it supposed to be turned on for NetworkManager?
>
> I see this update for FC3 (not rawhide).
>
> Any idea why NetworkManager requires bind?

It uses bind in a caching-nameserver functionality and named should
_not_ be turned on my default in this configuration.  Use of bind as a
caching nameserver was done to work around deficiencies of nscd and
glibc and should allow user applications to be aware of changes
to /etc/resolv.conf faster, since the applications actually just talk to
127.0.0.1 for the nameserver, and its the caching-nameserver that
actually does the heavy lifting when /etc/resolv.conf changes since
glibc isn't up to the task.

Dan