Debugging using package debuginfo

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Jan 25 18:25:16 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 22:00 -0700, Art wrote:
> Can anyone point me to a source of proceedures/methods to debug a RPM
> package failure (segfault) using the package with it's associated
> "debuginfo"?

If you've got the debuginfo packages installed, that means that using
'gdb' will show symbols and arguments when you debug the program that
fails.  So if you run the problematic program under gdb and then get a
backtrace from it (using the 'bt' command), you'll be able to see much
more detailed output (function names, argument names, and argument
values) than you would get without the debuginfo package.

Dan