kernel 2.6.12 troubles

Paul Johnson pauljohn at ku.edu
Thu Jul 7 19:11:28 UTC 2005

I installed the kernel released on the FC4 updates servers and had all
kinds of trouble. I gather from broswing the usenet that others have
these same things. The worst parts for me were

1. Complete system lockup after mounting a cdrom and doing

 > cp -a /media/cdrecorder /tmp

and

2. Can't compile ipw2200 drivers anymore.

I wonder if there is in FC testing a new version of the kernel that I
can drop into an FC4 system for testing to see if these things go away?
  Or perhaps one is better advised to run the 2.6.11 kernel?  Are there
security issuses to be worried about in going back?

Paul E. Johnson                       email: pauljohn at ku.edu
1541 Lilac Lane, Rm 504