gnome-vfs and file-selectors

Brian C. Huffman huffman at graze.net
Wed Jul 13 19:30:01 UTC 2005

I sent a message a couple of days ago trying to understand why my gnome-vfs
remote shares didn't show up in the file-selector in gtkpod (ipod program for
linux).  As it turns out, this is worse than that isolated application.  Using
multiple programs that ship w/ Fedora Core 4, I see the same problem.  I've
noted the following programs as showing shares or not showing shares in their
file selectors:

Gimp:      no
Gedit:     yes
OpenOff:   yes
Evince:    no
Evolution: no  (attachments)
Firefox:   no
Rhythmbox: yes

So what gives here?  This is a wonderful feature and critical to closing the gap
between windows and linux desktops.  With this feature, it really increases
productivity.

Example (at work w/ Windows shares)
With gnome-vfs enabled file-selectors, I simply import into app.  Without, I
have to create a local folder in nautilus, copy (or drag) from the share (using
nautilus) and then open in the app.  Ugh!

Is there a setting somewhere?  Or is this some option that needed to be
specified when coding the app?  Is it a simple fix (i.e. I with limited C/C++
experience could get the source, make a simple fix and recompile)??

Thanks,
Brian