Problem With Maintaining Sound Settings In Alsa Mixer

Hello,

I am having problems with maintaining the volume settings in the Alsa Mixer. I checked the /etc/modprobe.config file and I am not sure what sort of changes I need to make to hold the settings for sound. In fact, every time I reboot the computer, the icon on the toolbar shows that the sound has been turned off and I have to slide the sound bar all the way to the "up" position to hear sound. What sort of corrections, if any, do I have make to the /etc/modprobe.config file in order to maintain my settings? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff