<4> post_create: setxatter failed

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Jun 1 06:06:27 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 10:58, Dan Hollis <goemon at anime.net> wrote:
> > If you hit bugs in JFS/XFS/Reiserfs, you're pretty much guaranteed not
> > to get Red Hat folks jumping on those bugs.  There's just not enough
> > manpower to attack everything (especially with some of those filesystems
> > being very complicated internally), and hence we narrow the scope of bugs
> > by limiting the filesystems we class as 'supported'[1].

One thing that Dave didn't mention is that our lack of ability to fix bugs in
ReiserFS does not mean it's a waste of time to test such things.

Hans now has his people working on fixing this bug, and if nothing else it is
now a known issue so other people can avoid wasting time on it.

> Actually the problem here is that these bugs appear to be regressions in
> the fedora _installer_ (which is why they were filed against anaconda).
> That is, they are not related to kernel bugs (you cannot even install
> reiserfs with selinux *disabled*). But they are summarily closed WONTFIX
> which I find troubling.

I have just installed a machine with ReiserFS as the root file system.  I
booted the installer with "selinux=0 reiserfs" and did a minimal install.
Things worked fine, the machine booted, and I've logged in as root.

Please tell me exactly how you caused the installer to break.

> Something is busted in the installer, a regression from FC3. Silent
> failures, install corruption, etc. It might indicate more serious general
> problems lurking about in the installer. But it gets closed WONTFIX
> without even a second thought.

The corruption is file system corruption.  It is a bug in ReiserFS.

> Worse yet I ran into an x86_64 bug yesterday where the kernel would panic
> on the installer if you had unclean xfs partitions in your system (even
> if you were only installing ext3). Why bother reporting when these things
> get instantly closed WONTFIX because they have "xfs" in them?

File a bug report.  Anything that prevents an ext3 install should be
considered to be a serious bug.  Regardless of whatever happened to be on
your hard disk before you started the install you should be able to complete
a regular install.