up2date not working, Silly question

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 21:44:27 UTC 2005

On 6/6/05, Dan Hollis <goemon at anime.net> wrote:

> Will this "just work" again when FC4 is released or will the repository
> pointers remain broken for FC4T3? Eg will FC4T3 users have to mangle .repo
> files?

yes users who want to stop tracking the development tree will have to
mangle the repo files. OR install the fedora-release package from the
full fc4 release (taking care to look for .rpmnew files in case you
already editted the config files you want changed).

Test releases are snapshots of the development tree... they are not
branches. Full releases are branched off of the development tree and
get their own dedicated update directory.  Testers who want to stop
being part of the development process when a new release is branched..
need to do a fresh install to be sure they are getting what they
expect.

There are testers/developers who continue to track the development
tree after a full release is branched. There are some who never
actually do a test release install and install directly from the
development tree using the provided boot.iso.  I see no reason why the
people tracking the development tree should have their workflow
disrupted by an abrupt change in repository configuration to point to
fc4 updates.  If you want fc4 and you want to be sure you have fc4
with no linger development packages or development configuration
settings... install fc4.

-jef