Install of FC4T3 fails to update MBR in Windows dual boot env.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Jun 7 10:40:21 UTC 2005

On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 02:17:04PM +1000, Srihari Vijayaraghavan wrote:
> A friend of mine had this happened to him:
>
> ##### starts here #####
> My PC has 3 installs of Windows XP SP2 accessed via
> Windows boot manager.
> When I install FC4T3 onto 10 gig of empty space on 2nd
> hard drive, the install would complete successfully,
> but on reboot the windows boot manager is still there,
> with no sign of grub. I have installed 4 times with
> same result.
> ##### Ends here #####
>
> It seems as if anaconda 'forgot' to write the Grub on
> the MBR of the Primary master IDE hard drive. Does
> this sound like a known bug? Do you need more
> information?
>
> We are happy to raise a bug in bugzilla. A quick
> search on bugzilla did not reveal a similar bug.
>
> Thanks
> Hari

It is too early in the morning to make guarantees but here are some thoughts:
1. It is not unheard of for the running of grub-install to not replace
the Windows boot-loader in the MBR. grub-install as a glitch that makes
it sometimes not to work.
2, So you can remove the boot-loader in one of 2 ways;
	a. run the dos command: fdisk /mbr
	b. run the unix command:
		dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=446 count 1

3. boot linux rescue and chroot to /mnt/sysimage that should be the /
partition of your linux. Then run:
grub
grub> root (hd1,1)   <-- that assumes your /partition is on /dev/hdb1
			If not change the ,1 part accordingly.
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

I am also assuming that your grub.conf has the proper entries for the
Windows XP systems.

If your aim in life is nothing, you can't miss.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
telephone: (210)-999-7484