yum update errors

Patrick Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Wed Jun 8 01:52:11 UTC 2005

Tim Taranov wrote:

>how annoying it is...When is this final FC4 release going to come out
>and will it even work by then? I'm just about to give up on fedora
>altogether and move to Suse or just go and build my own distro. Didn't
>want to rant about it but, considering this thing is just about to be
>released, it's just very annoying to have the updates not working as
>well as simply screwing up the system (the last update apparently also
>apparently broke the console-based logins into my system, together
>with somewhat questionable general system performance - various
>annoying crashes of kde etc)...  basically, I'm quite disappointed in
>this whole fedora experience of mine.
>
>On 6/7/05, Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, Jun 06, 2005 at 11:39:43PM -0400, Tim Taranov wrote:
>>

>>>just trying to update my fc4 test3 and getting these errors. Any suggestions?
>>>

>>A general suggestion is that if something break dependencies in
>>testing stuff, which happens and surely will happen many times more,
>>then to check where these troubles are coming from and exclude
>>relevant packages from updates until other thing will catch.
>>'rpm -qf /path/to/something' will tell you what "owns" given files.
>>

>>>[root at dualbox ~]# yum update
>>>--> Running transaction check
>>>Error: Missing Dependency: libijs.so()(64bit) is needed by package gimp-print
>>>Error: Missing Dependency: libgs.so.7()(64bit) is needed by package
>>>ImageMagick-perl
>>>

>>Add --exclude='ghosts*' to your yum command, until versions of
>>gimp-print and ImageMagick recompiled with new libraries show up,
>>and that will cover this problem
>>

>>>Error: Missing Dependency: openoffice.org-core = 1:1.9.100-1 is needed
>>>by package openoffice.org-pyuno
>>>

>>The current version is 1.9.104-2 and it looks like that
>>openoffice.org-pyuno was dropped from x86_64 set (it is available in
>>i386 and _all_ openoffice packages are i386 only) together with
>>python.i386 which is required to support that.  If this was a
>>deliberate decision that means that either you will have live with a
>>reduced functionality on x86_64 side or add required packages from
>>i386.  If you are not doing the later then you have to deinstall
>>packages you happen to have on your system and for which newer
>>versions are not available.  As simple as that.
>>
>>  Michal

If you don't know how to use a development-branch repository, you
shouldn't try.  What yum is currently pulling from is NOT the FC4
branch.  FC4 has already branched away and Rawhide is now rolling
towards FC5.  I do, however, have a hard time believing that your
problems are really all the fault of Rawhide, because some of the
problems you named aren't common to the other testers.  If you're having
such a hard time, try a release version.  If that doesn't sound
suitable, just don't let the door hit you in the ass.  Either way, no
excuse for top-posting.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com