Slow Evo and .xscreensaver file in home

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Wed Jun 8 02:27:15 UTC 2005

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 20:45 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>Problem 2:
>>.xscreensavers is created in the user home directory which prevents
>>one
>>from viewing.
>

> Viewing what?  I have a .xscreensavers in my home dir, and I can
> use/test screensavers all I want....

viewing all of the screensavers that are available. All that I see is a
blank screen. With the initial install and versions of screensavers
below, I cannot get the screensavers to display regardless of removing
the xscreensaver file from the directory. The installs were all clean
wipes of partitions with new home directories. Installed versions with
problem seem to be the FC4T3 install disk versions below:
xscreensaver-extras-4.21-2
xscreensaver-gl-extras-4.21-2
xscreensaver-base-4.21-2

>>I had to install xscreensaver-extras-4.21-4 and
>>xscreensaver-gl-extras-4.21-4 via yum, but they were installed on the
>>other everything install that I performed earlier. If one opens a
>>terminal and runs rm .xscreens* as a regular user the full stock of
>>screensavers is available.
>

> Wait, your .xscreensavers file was from an old install, and you didn't
> clean out the home directory?  -ENOTSUPPORTED

The smaller install did not have extras installed by default. I updated
the whole system before installing the extras for xscreensaver. I assume
that the fault is with the FC4T3 versions and do not show with upgrades
or FC4 hopefully. I did have to remove the .xscreensaver file from the
home directory with two installs and I do not see the screensavers
before upgrading to the latest versions of xscreensaver*

>>minor detail to remove the file. A harder thing to know what is
>>causing
>>the problem on clean installs.
>

> I don't think the problem DOES exist on clean installs.  (By clean, I
> mean new file systems and the whole works)

THe whole works were wiped out and redone.

>>Problem 5:
>>Firefox is nothing but trouble. I downloaded two ISO images from the
>>net, then chose cleanup, which removed the files from disk and did not
>>even stop at the trashcan. Why such a feature? If you are downloading
>>something, don't you think you intend to keep it? (I thought that it
>>would clear the list only.)
>

> It does clear the list only.  I downloaded 5 or 6 files, looked in my
> defined download directory to make sure they were there, hit the 'clean
> up' button, and those files were still there....  It didn't delete them.
> It did however clean up the list.  Make sure that the files are actually
> being downloaded to where you think they are.  Check in ~/Desktop/ and
> ~/

It removed the isos from my selected directory. I was doing an md5sum
against the ISOs and the iso files checked out. I did a clear all from
the firefox download manager and the iso files were gone and the md5sum
verified the problem with missing disks. ls on the directory and mc
could not fnd the isos either.

What you said is what I expected. The other result was not desirable and
I see no value to such a feature.