lastlog devours universe

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Jun 8 04:55:36 UTC 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 07:50:50PM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-06-07 at 17:58, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > Oh wait, I bet a sysadmin knows that she/he can't backup stuff in
> > the /dev/ tree,
>
> Wrong.  "tar cfv /tmp/dev.tar /dev"  "tar cfvz /tmp/dev/tgz /dev"

This is GNU tar saving your hide.  You will try that with some
other version of tar and you may be for a nasty surprise.  In
particular if you happen to have something like /dev/kmem. :-)

That is why some "old hands" may prefer cpio although this may
have some other problems.  OTOH with cpio you may make a sparse
file from something which merely has lots of null characters.

   Michal