Upgrade to FC4 final?

David Kewley kewley at gps.caltech.edu
Wed Jun 8 19:53:06 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 07:17, Harald Grossauer wrote:
> As far as I have seen there are no more updates for FC4test3, but FC4
> final is not released yet.
>
> Just in advance: what do I have to do when FC4 final is released?
> Activate the appropriate repos, which are already configured in
> /etc/yum.repos.d but not enabled, and call "yum update"?
>
> Will that be enough to get a "clean and complete" FC4 final
> installation? Or would it be better to download the ISO images and
> completely reinstall FC4 from scratch?

If I read you correctly, you want to know whether it will work well to
do a 'yum update' on a FC4t3 box, with yum.repos.d/ pointing (only) to
the FC4-final repos?  Whether you'll then end up with a "clean" FC4
box?

I'm quite sure it isn't "supported" in any sense, but my bet is it will
work well.  I did it with FC3t3->FC3, and it seemed to work fine.

It's probably best if you already did all the updates to FC4t3 that were
available in rawhide, up to the point when rawhide became the
playground for FC5.  If you did so, I bet that there are relatively few
packages that need updates to FC4, and that most of those packages have
only very small changes.

I have two boxes with FC4t3, both updated to the last pre-fork rawhide
repository.  I'm planning to 'yum update' to FC4, and I don't expect
any problems.  I reckon if there *are* problems, I may end up doing a
clean reinstall. :)

You might want to backup any data you care about beforehand, just in
case.  Shouldn't be an issue, but I tend to be conservative with large
and/or unsupported changes.

David