Upgrade to FC4 final?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 20:58:27 UTC 2005

On 6/8/05, Daniel Gonzalez <dgonzo at optonline.net> wrote:
> David-
>
> Sounds promising, but how did you know when to stop updating via yum? I
> stopped updating about 1 week ago. That's what i'm trying to find out
> now. What files/directories will tell me where I'm at? My first guess
> would be to read everything under /etc/yum.conf. Agreed?
>
> Thanks for the input

*when fc4 comes out... install the fedora-release package from the
official fc4 tree.
*run rpm -V fedora-release   look at the output.
*If there are any yum configuration files flags by the verify check to
see if a .rpmnew version was created for that file. .rpmnew files are
created when rpm senses that you have an editted config and places the
new default as .rpmnew. Its up to you as the local admin to decide
which file to use or how to integrate the custom file with the new
default.
*If there are .rpmnew files the correspond to yum configs listed in
the rpm -V fedora-release  output, copy over files into the correct
location as needed.
*Take appropriate action to make sure the correct default repos are
enabled by reviewing each repo file to see whats enabled.  Anything
thats not provided by the fedora-release package is a custom repo that
you have added and you will have to decided whether or not that repo
should be enabled or not as you try to upgrade. Make sure the addon
repos you have enabled are ready to roll with fc4 trees if you need
them.

In the best case scenario with no customized .repo files already....
installing the fedora-release from the fc4 tree when its publicly
available will result in a clean rpm -V fedora-release run and yum
should be ready to use the fc4 trees.

Assuming the configuration is ready to go.... you can either attempt
an update with yum right then and see if it works then clean up any
spurious packages listed in the output of  'yum list extras'.

Or.. if you want to be a little more cautious  you can do a comparison
of 'yum list extras'
and 'yum list updates'  before attempting the update. The differences
in that list should point to packages on your system that might have
problems on your system. You can also use 'yum list obsoletes'  in the
comparison to further constrain the list of expected problematic
packages.  This comparison for example should definitely catch any fc5
staging packages from the development tree that you might have
installed before fc4 release.

Let me stress that i do not personally recommend any tester upgrading
from a test release to a final release in this way. I personally
believe as a tester  participating in the ongoing development process,
you are agreeing to do a fresh install when you decided to leave the
development process.  No matter how smoothly the upgrade appears to
go, you can still run into lingering configuration issues from
development packages that can be mis-interpreted as new bugs from fc4
final packages, resulting in erroneous bug reports wasting developer
time.

-jef"have fun storming the castle"spaleta

reconfigure yum to look at the fc4 trees. If the details of that
reconfiguration have to be