Help needed with chcon

Dianne Yumul dianne at wellsgaming.com
Thu Jun 9 17:05:48 UTC 2005

Hello List,

Before I begin, I want to apologize if I'm posting to the wrong list
and would greatly appreciate it if I get redirected to the appropriate
one.

I've just installed FC 4 Test 3 on a development box. I first noticed
my problem when I start the postgresql service, I get:

/usr/bin/chcon: can't apply partial context to unlabeled file
/home/postgres/pgstartup.log
Starting postgresql service:                               [  OK  ]

A guru from the postgresql list recommended running the commands from
the postgresql init script by hand:

# PGLOG=/home/postgres/pgstartup.log
# touch "$PGLOG"
# ls -Z $PGLOG
-rw-r--r--  root     root
/home/postgres/pgstartup.log
# chown postgres:postgres "$PGLOG"
# chmod go-rwx "$PGLOG"
# /usr/bin/chcon -u system_u -r object_r -t postgresql_log_t "$PGLOG"
/usr/bin/chcon: can't apply partial context to unlabeled file
/home/postgres/pgstartup.log
# ls -Z $PGLOG
-rw-------  postgres postgres
/home/postgres/pgstartup.log
# uname -r
2.6.11-1.1369_FC4
# rpm -qf /usr/bin/chcon
coreutils-5.2.1-48
[# sestatus -v
SELinux status:                 disabled

Is this behavior normal? ls -Z returns stuff with
system_u:object_r:file_t on files already existing. But files just
created return nothing. What do I need to do? Thank you very much for
any help.

dianne