lastlog devours universe

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu Jun 9 20:10:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-07-06 at 23:32 -0400, Konstantin Ryabitsev wrote:
> On 6/7/05, Mike Bird <mgb-fedora at yosemite.net> wrote:
> > > Oh wait, I bet a sysadmin knows that she/he can't backup stuff in
> > > the /dev/ tree,
> >
> > Wrong.  "tar cfv /tmp/dev.tar /dev"  "tar cfvz /tmp/dev/tgz /dev"
> >
> > > Don't pass your lack of understanding off
> >
> > .. on the people who point out glaring design flaws in the distro.
>
> That argument reminds me of a "sysadmin" at my previous job who for 3
> years was ardently backing up "Shortcut to Exchange.lnk".
>
> If you work with Unix and you don't know what a sparse file is, well,
> then you are not a sysadmin. Besides, sparse files tar up just fine
> and take up no space even if you don't pass any special flags to tar,
> since nulls compress very well. It just takes forever.

Say what!

I have been a sysadmin since 1988, and was trained by Sun for Advanced
Administration and Development for SunOS and Solaris and took refresher
courses up until 1994. I had not heard of a sparse file until now.
After googling I now know what a sparse file is, but have yet to come
across a problem with one, or a circumstance where I needed to make a
special provision for one.