Soft clock on FC3 & FC4 while running under VMware on Windoze

E Barnett ewinblists at chrusos.com
Fri Jun 10 19:14:59 UTC 2005

Forum-

I'm running VMware on a Dell Inspirion 8600 (Windoze XP Pro w/all patches)

When I run RH9, the software clock tracks the real clock just fine. IOW,
the date command shows the same passage of time as in the real world

When I run wither FC3 or FC4t2 (both current with yum), the software clock
tracks at a rate that is just about 1/3 or 1/4 of the real passage of time.
   Not only that, but the soft clock's factor of the passage of time seems
to be erratic.

Futher, the FC3 & FC4 seem to have other behavior that could be tied back
to an erratic clock.  Sometimes typomatic works, most of the time it
doesn't.  The length of time of key hold-down to trigger typomatic seems to
very and sometimes I easily get a quick burst of repeat characters from one
keystroke.  Scrollbars work sometimes and not others.  Progress bars (like
on Thunderbird where it has a moving bar to indicate activity of send or
receive) sometimes run slow, sometimes humorously fast.  I get a hint that
the timeouts for functions like POP and SMTP server sign-in handshaking
fails because the timeout is way too short.  Other times, the timeout looks
real long.

All these functions appear to work normally under RH9.

I have tried to automatically adjust the clock but it always errors out
because the correction factors are out of range.

This is the only festering issue I have to complain about in either FC3 or FC4.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-- Ewin

(NB: This email account is for all my list digests.  My direct email
is: ewinb (at) chrusos.com)