Local yum repo

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Fri Jun 17 19:25:30 UTC 2005

On Friday 17 June 2005 15:12, seth vidal wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-06-17 at 15:08 -0400, Gene C. wrote:
> > I have a number of systems I want to be able to update and would prefer
> > to download updates across the Internet only once.  Therefore, I would
> > like to create a local repo.  OK, I know how to create the local repo and
> > have done that.  There problem is that I want to keep the regular repo
> > mirror lists also but have yum pull the updated packages from one of the
> > mirror lists sites ONLY IF that package is not available on the local
> > site.
> >
> > Just adding /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-local-updates.repo does not do it
> > since the updates are still pulled first from the release-updates mirror
> > sites.
> >
> > My /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-local-updates.repo is:
> >
> > [local-updates-released]
> > name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Local Released Updates
> > #baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/updates/
> >$releasever/$basearch/
> > baseurl=http://amber.home/redhat/fc4/Updates/$basearch/
> > #mirrorlist=http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors/updates-released-fc
> >$releasever.us.east enabled=1
> > gpgcheck=1
> > gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
> >
> > Suggestions?
>
> that doesn't and won't work. Repos are not scored higher vis-a-vis each
> other.
>
> if you want to setup a local mirror repo, then do so. Don't straddle the
> fence b/t the two.

Thanks for the prompt reply!  (Thanks to you too Matthew)

I suspect I may not be the only one with this particular need (which I could
do with up2date) and you may want to consider addressing this capability for
future versions of yum.

I think I can accomplish what I want to do (see what is available from the
mirror list and install only install from my local repo) by using
--enablerepo=<> or --disablerepro=<> on the yum command line.  This is a bit
more manual but not much.  If the manual entry becomes error prone or
tedious, some script files should simplify things.
--
Gene