grub can't find config file

Thomas Taylor linxt at comcast.net
Sat Jun 18 00:26:16 UTC 2005

On Friday 17 June 2005 15:21, Steve Holdoway wrote:
> Edwin Olson wrote:
> > I did a  clean FC4 install to the second disk (hdb) of my x86 machine.
> > hda is Windows. During install, I requested grub be written to hda,
> > and upon reboot, grub runs.
> >
> > But grub can't find its config file, so it dumps me at a command prompt.
> >
> > I can proceed normally by typing 'configfile /grub/grub.conf'. The
> > menu pops up and I can boot both windows or linux just fine.
> >
> > What can I do to make grub automatically find its config file in this
> > most obvious of locations? :) Could there be a bug that I'm tickling,
> > since the config file is on hdb instead of hda?
> >
> > -Ed
>
> try /boot/grub/grub.conf. This is where the file resides, not where some
> strange ( non standard? ) link is. There's a standard symlink from
> /etc/grub.conf, but that's all I know about.
>
> Steve

Hi Edwin:
Did you set the location of boot as /dev/hdb?  See below.  If not, it's trying
to find /boot on /dev/hda.

Tom

# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,0)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda6
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda            <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< change
default=0
timeout=5
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1369_FC4smp ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet

--
Tom Taylor
Linux user #263467