SSH and login attack

Mike Pepe lamune at doki-doki.net
Sat Jun 18 12:27:18 UTC 2005

Thomas Cameron wrote:

> These attacks appear to me to fire multiple concurrent connections to
> get around the delay.
>
> Thomas

Possibly. I found a script out there and modified it a bit, this will
block the attacker after opening up 3 concurrent connections in 60 seconds:

modprobe ipt_recent ip_list_tot=200

IPADDR=67.110.180.110

$IPT -A INPUT -i $IF -p tcp \
         -d $IPADDR --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --rcheck \
         --hitcount 3 --seconds 60 --name SSH_PROBERS \
         -j LOG --log-prefix "Adaptive-FW SSH Prober: "

$IPT -A INPUT -i $IF -p tcp \
         -d $IPADDR --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent \
         --update --hitcount 3 --seconds 60 --name SSH_PROBERS \
         -j DROP

$IPT -A INPUT -i $IF -p tcp \
         -d $IPADDR --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent \
         --set --name SSH_PROBERS -j ACCEPT

So far this is working for me, it has a few drawbacks but seems simple
enough for now.