TAINT -- Was: Wireless support for the Intel 2915 a/b/g under Fedora Core 4

Joel Rittvo joelonlinux at optonline.net
Sun Jun 19 23:21:55 UTC 2005

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 21:07 -0400, Ernest L. Williams Jr. wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Can someone help me get the Intel 2915 a/b/g built-in wireless going on
>>the DELL Precision M70 under Fedora Core 4?
>

> wrong mailing list.... it's not a question for fedora-test-list

With all due respect, I am a Fedora Tester, and subjects like these are
essential parts of keeping my Rawhide version running day to day.  I
completely understand the need for zealotry about non FOSS components,
but it also seems important to some of us keep our test systems running.
  So, I am proposing (and sure to go down in flames for this) a new
subject qualifier of TAINT, to be used similarly to OT, where many of
the list subscribers think it (ATI, Nvidia, assorted wireless cards,
etc.) is/are a valid subject, and many do not.  If you feel that items
which taint the kernel have no place on this list, then you can skip
over TAINT tagged posts.  If you depend on an item that taints the
kernel to continue being a Fedora tester, then you can read and even
reply to TAINT tagged posts.

Joel Rittvo