screen bug in FC4

David Kewley kewley at gps.caltech.edu
Tue Jun 21 17:07:43 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 07:54, Cimmo wrote:
> David Kewley ha scritto:
> >FYI, to complete this thread (?), I have not seen the screen
> > corruption since I updated xorg* and kde (a bunch of rpms), and
> > power-cycled.  I don't believe my use patterns now are very
> > different from before, so perhaps the source of the problem I saw
> > has been fixed.
> >
> >Cimmo, are you still seeing problems after the above-mentioned
> > updates & power-cycle?
>
> done a full update and power-cycle.
> Same issue :(
>
> Cimmo

A quick update: I found out this morning that I had *not* in fact
updated KDE; I'm doing that now.  I could swear I'd done that, so
perhaps I did it on my work machine rather than my home machine...
Sigh.  I found this out because last night I got screen corruption & X
nonresponse, as before, so I double-checked my installed packages.

This time I let the machine run several hours overnight to see if it
would ever respond to Ctrl-Alt-F1; it did not, so X at least was locked
hard.  As before, the mouse pointer moves, but onscreen widgets do not
update.  Over the past few days, until last night, I had experienced
no problems, including a few hours of troublefree 3D gaming in Win2k.

Cimmo, how about you and I take this path:

* If you wish to submit a bug report now, go ahead and do so, and reply
to this thread with a URL to the bug report.  I'll fill in the details
I have.

* Alternately, wait until I've confirmed whether I still see this bug
with KE 3.4.1 before submitting a bug report.

Have you searched http://bugzilla.redhat.com/ for similar-sounding
reports?  I have not yet.

Regarding your network bug report that hadn't seen any action in the
past three months until you brought it up on this list today, I hear
your frustration.  But I think that the list members are being very
helpful to you, both in terms of tracking down the bug & giving you
guidance about how to get attention to your bugs.  I hope you and the
bug respondents will together gather all the required facts & find the
problem.  Remember that it could possibly be hardware, even though you
also saw it with a PCI network card.  Unless you're a deep, deep
hardware wizard (I'm good, but not a deep wizard), never 100% rule out
the possibility of hardware problems. :)

David