Amanda/Bacula (was Re: Fedora 5 wish list)

Orion Poplawski orion at cora.nwra.com
Wed Jun 22 23:19:29 UTC 2005

Mark Bradbury wrote:
> I would like to see bacula replace amanda as the backup software for
> fedora (not counting tar and dump) bacula at least spans tapes and
> seems to be much more functional ( its just missing pools)
>
> bacula link here http://www.bacula.org/
>
> what do you think
>
> ps. I've just been on a legato networker training camp and have been
> comparing backup "solutions" so my mind could be warped

Perusing the bacula docs it does not appear to have automatic scheduling of
full/incremental backups.  This feature of amanda is absolutely critical
for our usage.  Also, there is a tape/volume splitting patch making its way
into amanda.  I used it for a while with success.

But that said, I don't suppose either is going away.  Package it up for
extras as suggested - let's get it out there.  It may be more useful for
folks as a default backup program.