Question about speed

Klaasjan Brand fedora at kjb.dds.nl
Fri Jun 24 12:06:14 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 11:48 +0100, Mike old wrote:
> I have two machines (home/work) both running FC4
>
> machine 1 k6/2 500mhz 256Mb geforce4
> machine 1 celeron 933mhz 256Mb geforce2
>
> The lower speced machine is far,far,far quicker (gnome etc).
>
> Anyone any ideas how this could be?

Did you install the binary nvidia drivers on one of them? X performance
looks a lot snappier using these drivers instead of the nv driver from
xorg.

You can also check with hdparm if ultradma is enabled for the disk in
the celeron. If it's not the machine will react a lot slower since the
cpu is tied up by the disk i/o...

Klaasjan