Detritus from Lynx in $HOME

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Mon Mar 7 15:40:11 UTC 2005

Alan Cox writes:
> On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 11:53:41AM -0500, Janina Sajka wrote:
> > /tmp, I should think. I'm loathe to understand why or what to do to afix
> > this. I see nothing in /etc/lynx* or my ~/.lynxrc that indicates the
> > following should land in $HOME:
> > Any thoughts?
>
> /tmp means all the fun that goes with races, symbolic link attacks and
> the like. Possibly the files should be called ".L*" not "L*"

That would certainly help, but f lynx is not properly closed, the files
are not erased. Also, I'm finding it hard to believe someone actually
intended a change in how these files are handled. They've been in lynx
as long as I've used lynx--over ten years. I didn't think there was
still active development.

I should point out that my /etc/lynx-site.cfg has

.h2 SOURCE_CACHE
# SOURCE_CACHE sets the source caching behavior for Lynx:
# FILE causes Lynx to keep a temporary file for each cached document
#   containing the HTML source of the document, which it uses to
#   regenerate
#   the document when certain settings are changed (for instance,
#   historical vs. minimal vs. valid comment parsing) instead of
#   reloading
#   the source from the network.
# MEMORY is like FILE, except the document source is kept in memory.
# You
#   may wish to adjust DEFAULT_CACHE_SIZE and
#   DEFAULT_VIRTUAL_MEMORY_SIZE
#   accordingly.
# NONE is the default; the document source is not cached, and is
# reloaded
#   from the network when needed.
#
#SOURCE_CACHE:NONE
SOURCE_CACHE:memory

But, nothing seems to have an effect on these files.