Wireless in FC4

Kyrre Ness Sjobak kyrre at solution-forge.net
Tue Mar 8 20:13:40 UTC 2005

tir, 08.03.2005 kl. 02.27 skrev Sean:
> On Mon, March 7, 2005 12:49 pm, Kyrre Ness Sjobak said:
>
> > Of course we won't do that. But please, if Linux is going to become easy
> > to use and deploy, please don't act as fanatics. It isn't going to get
> > us anywhere, except looking like idiots.
>
> Linux is becoming easier to use every day.   It's not acting like a
> fanatic to stick to some guiding principles.  If Fedora only works with
> hardware supported by open source as a consequence of these principles,
> it's a reasonable tradeoff.  Lets not worry too much about the people that
> judge anyone with a different view than themselves, an idiot.  There are
> some very good reasons for the principles adopted by Fedora.   For those
> that don't understand them or are offended by the resulting constraints,
> there are many other options available to them within the Linux landscape.
>  Fedora is available for those that get it.

Nobody was talking about including non-free *software* with the distro -
that wouldn't be to smart, agreed. This is about having HW that requires
firmware loadup JustWork (tm) when the driver is free as in freedom.

Should we then refuse to cooperate with any properitary sort of
firmware, also when it is built into the hardware - such as a BIOS? It
could seem like a "logical" extention...

Kyrre Ness Sjøbæk