FC4 Test Prep

NGUYEN Dang-Truc bobotaito at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 23:30:14 UTC 2005

Normally there's no probs with installation of Linux on logical
partition. If you have installed linux before, it is recommended to
conserve installed boot manager (choose installing boot manager to first
sector of partition on which fc4 resides instead of MBR). Then finish
your installation, start the old linux (not fc4), mount the partition of
fc4, copy all the files initrd-*, System.map-* and vmlinuz-* to /boot,
modify grub.conf, add FC4 to boot list. And now you have it work.

Example of my grub.conf :

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You do not have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /, eg.
#          root (hd0,9)
#          kernel /boot/vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hdb10
#          initrd /boot/initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hdb
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,9)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
#hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core 3 (2.6.9-1.667)
    root (hd0,9)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.9-1.667.img
#
title Fedora Core 4 (2.6.11-1.1177_FC4)
        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11-1.1177_FC4 ro *root=/dev/hda2* rhgb
quiet
        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.11-1.1177_FC4.img
#
title WindowsXP French (SP1 32bit)
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
#

(I've installed GRUB boot loader of MBR of hdb, fc4 (development
version) on partion 2 of hda)

Good luck and enjoy.