Unable to logon

Gerry Tool gstool at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 17 03:10:40 UTC 2005

Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
> Hello,
>
>      I have just installed the Fedora Core 4 Test 1 version and I am not
> able to log on.  After everything seems to install, I am brought to the
> logon screen but after I try to log on, I only see the blue screen
> without anything loading up.  During installation and just before
> logging on, you are generally given the option to set the screen
> resolution, provide a username, etc.  I didn't even get the opportunity
> to do this.  The one time the computer did load up, it took about four
> minutes to load to the desktop and I had to create a regular user
> account through the root account.   I did a clean install on two
> different computers (a Dell Dimension xps t600r and a Dell Inspiron 4000
> laptop) and I have the same problem.  How do I correct this?  Has anyone
> else had this problem?  Any help would be appreciated.
>

> Jeff

You may be victim of several bugs.  If you log into the gui without
first logging into a text terminal (CTRL-ALT-F1 for example) as root and
running
yum update gdm
you will not get a useable screen.  You must also manually add a normal
user as root - the firstboot program is hosed.

Updating everything (not easy in itself - see other posts) finally makes
firstboot run on the next reboot.

Hope this helps.

Gerry